Last week I was on vacation with my family and it was the best thing I’ve done in a long time. I decided to turn my phone off and keep it off for an entire 8 days. It was so refreshing. That’s easy for some people to do but when you run several companies, monitor 21 different email addresses, and have nearly 3 million supporters online it’s a very hard thing to do! But, I did it!
I learned some valuable lessons while on vacation and I want to share some of them with you!
- The world will keep spinning: Nothing in the world stopped moving while I was unplugged from social media and my cell phone. Everything kept moving and didn’t skip a beat.
- My family fell in love with me all over again: My Wife and two sons had my undivided attention and got the best of me for 8 day s straight. I could see a different level of happiness in their eyes.
- I still made money: My income was the average. I’ve worked 40 hours in a week and earned less than I earned while I was on vacation and didn’t lift a finger. I needed to see that to realize that I can step away from my businesses and things can still run smoothly.
- I earned more respect: Many people wrote in and showed respect for me being willing to step away from it all and take a vacation. It’s not normal for a lot of people because we’ve become workaholics.
- I slept much better: Without having my cellphone in my hand reading emails and social media, my mind and spirit were at ease. I fell asleep faster and slept better.
- I gained clarity: I realized the importance of unplugging from the world. I decided to create a strict schedule for my life that will make more time for the most important things in life!
- No one missed me: I don’t mean that literally, but no one’s life ended because I wasn’t posting online, responding to text messages, or emails. Everyone made it through the week and we were able to pick up where we left off.
Those are just some of the lessons that stood out to me. I want to challenge you to go a day without your cellphone. Also, set a time that you’ll put your phone down each day and not pick it up until the next day. Create time for yourself and don’t let anyone steal your time. Pay attention to how much time you give to meaningless TV shows, social media, and other time killers. Do the math and see how much life you’ve lost and how much it will cost you moving forward. I feel like my life has already changed for the better just because I’ve made the decision to make more time for myself and my family.
Don’t lose yourself trying to please everyone else.
Tony A. Gaskins Jr.